Professor (Radiological Safety Officer) & Head
The Radiotracer Laboratory at Kerala Agricultural University was established in the year 1982. Over the past years this laboratory has served as a central facility for research, employing radioisotopes and radiations for the faculty and students from different institutions of the university. The laboratory is well equipped except for the facility for analysis of stable isotope of nitrogen, N.
The lead function is to serve as a common facility in radiotracer aided research in different disciplines of the university and to offer PG courses in radiation and radioisotopes as well as to do the essential research functions, which are complementary to the lead function.
The laboratory is well equipped with facilities for conducting research using radioactive isotopes and radiation in various disciplines of Agriculture, Veterinary, Fisheries, Forestry and other biological sciences including biotechnology. Thus the laboratory functions as a central facility of the University for radioisotope aided research.
Experience: 20years of experience in handling radioisotopes in research related to soil fertility and soil chemistry, root activity studies, radioimmuno assay, irradiation of planting materials for mutation and other products for disinfection, disinfestation and for improving shelf life, autoradiography and AFLP.
Gamma Chamber 900
This instrument installed by BARC in 1982 with Co60 as gamma source and with a capacity of 1 L, is used for irradiation of plant propagule (Seeds, tissues, cuttings, etc.) for inducing mutation, insects for inducing male sterility, processed food and herbal product for disinfestations and different chemicals for radiolytic reactions.
Three in one Counter (TRIATHLER). This is used for radioassay of samples containing beta emitting radioisotopes like 3H, 14C, 32P, 35S, 45Ca, etc. and for radioassay of samples containing gamma emitting radioisotopes like 59Fe, 51Cr, 65Zn, 125I, 129I, etc.
An autoradiograph processing and developing lab is available at RTL for developing autoradiographs of radiolabelled specimens.
A glass house and green house are available for doing pot culture experiments using radioisotopes.
Geographic Information System (GIS)
A centre is established for Land Resources Research and Management with GIS facility, which is at present housed at RTL.
Gas Chromatograph Unit
A Gas Chromatograph Unit (Shimadzu GC 2010) is available for the detection of pesticide residues in different living systems (soil, plant, water, animal body, etc.), which installed at RTL by AICRP on Weed Control Unit.
Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS)
This for analysis of micronutrients and heavy metal pollutants.
*The paper won the Young Scientist Award
**The paper bagged the best paper award (H.S. Mehta memorial National award)
1. Coaching and guidance to Undergraduate Students for ICAR JRF examinations
leading to get maximum fellowships to KAU in the recent years
2. PG course in Fundamentals of radiation and radioisotopes is being offered.
1. Established root activity pattern of major tree crops of Kerala.
2. Developed an applicator for isotope application at root zones of tree crops.
3. Defined and established the significance of Net Ionic Equilibrium (NIE) with respect
to potassium availability in Laterite soils.
4. Fertility assessment and fertility card preparation for the first time in Kerala state.
1. Gamma chamber for irradiation
2. A three in one counter (Liquid scintillation counting for beta, solid scintillation counting for gamma and luminiscence counting) _ TRIATHLER.
3. Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS) for micronutrient and heavy metal analysis.
4. Facility for soil and plant analysis.
5. Facility for Autoradiography.
6. Facility for Radio-immuno assay (RIA).
7. Gas chromatography
8. Geographic Information System (GIS) lab
9. Glass house
Contact Address :
Professor (Radiological Safety Officer)
College of Horticulture
KAU, P.O., Vellanikkara, Thrissur 680 656
Phone (O) 0487-2371695
Designed & Maintained By Bioinformatics Centre, Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara
All Rights Reserved. COH © 2008
Best viewed in Internet Explorer 6 or above, 1024 x 768 Screen, Flash enabled