Sri. S. Krishnan
Associate Professor and Head
· Established as a Statutory Department of KAU in 1972
· M.Sc. Programme in Agricultural Statistics started in 1979
· Teaching, Research and Extension
· Giving Advisory service to co-scientists
Sri. S. Krishnan, Associate Professor & Head
Dr. C. Laly John, Associate Professor
Smt. T.K. Ajitha , Associate Professor
· PG programme : Offers 33 courses for M.Sc.(Ag.Stat.), MSc.(Ag.),M.Sc(Hort.), M.S(Ag.Econ.), M.Sc(Ag.Extn.),M.Sc(Home science), M.Sc (CB&M)
Research Highlights :
Developed a new non-parametric alternative for the analysis of data from groups of
experiments, suited when errors are heterogeneous and interaction effect is absent
§ Evolved a computer oriented iterative algorithm for clustering genotypes
§ Developed a modified statistical model incorporating stand loss and yield reduction, for the
estimation of crop loss by various casual factors like pests, disease and drought.
§ Evolved technique for clustering genotypes based on genotype- environment interaction
when error variances are heterogeneous.
§ Evolved an iterative procedure for pooled analysis of data when the observations cannot be
assumed independent, which is very much useful in experiments with perennial crops,
animals and other long term experiments.
§ Determination of optimum size of plots using multivariate measurements was introduced.
§ Standardized the field plot technique of crops such as banana, turmeric, brinjal, cashew
§ Developed new models for describing dose - esponse relationship and for estimating plot
§ Proposed a procedure of formation of plots for experiments in perennial crops making use
of available data that minimize experimental error as a modification to the method
suggested by Shri Kande
§ A new probability model was developed to predict the number of moist days per week
§ Markov chain models were developed for the prediction of seasonal rain fall for selected
centres of Northern Kerala
§ Fitted probability models for weekly rainfall in different agroclimatic zones of Kerala
and estimated the assured rainfall in the 52 standard weeks for all zones.
§ Developed yield forecasting models for crops like rice, coconut pepper, sugarcane, cocoa
and lemon grass based on climatological and morphological variables.
§ Obtained optimum doses of N,P & K in black pepper using game – theoretical models.
· 28 years of teaching/ research experience in different Colleges and Research Stations under KAU.
· Took M.Sc. in Agricultural Statistics from IASRI- IARI (ICAR),New Delhi in 1978 as ICAR Junior Research Fellow-Ist Rank
· Worked as Statistician in the all India Co-ordinated Agronomic Research Project (AICARP) of ICAR.
· Worked on the project on “Changes in the ecosystem of Kuttanad and their impact on the Agrarian economy of the tract consequent on the commissioning of the Thanneermukkom Regulator.” Final report submitted to KAU.
· Published more than 10 research papers in National Journals and presented papers in National and International Symposiums.
· Published more than 10 popular articles in various monthlies.
· Published a title paper on “Agricultural statistics” in “Malayalam Encyclopedia- 1981”
· A book on “ Status Report of Kerala” as a basic reference book under the guidance of World Bank-published by KAU.
· Derived a simple algebraic formula for Production-productivity or Growth- component Analysis.
· Suggested a criterion viz. A Statistical Method for deciding under planting in Pepper gardens, which is a package of Practice Recommendation of KAU since last 20 years.
· Suggestions on “Computers in Education, Research and Industrial development”- farsighted thoughts – made a reality after a quarter of a century. (Paper presented in the Ist Symposium on Computers and published in the proceedings of 51st Session of the National Academy of Sciences, India.1981)
· Took M.Sc. from KAU in 1981and M.Phil from Annamalai Univerity in 1993
· Has 30 research papers in varied disciplines to credit.
· Had been a member of 40 PG committees and 8 Doctoral Committees.
· Serving as consultant statistician for all the ICAR network projects in vogue at College of Horticulture since 1986.
· Co-recipient of Young Scientist Award for Sixteenth Kerala Science Congress, 2004.
· Co-recipient of Dr.H.S. Mehtah Memorial Award for best research paper on crop and product diversification, SYMSAC – 111, IISR, Calicut.
· Took Ph. D. in Statistics from University of Calicut in 2006
· M. Sc. in Agrl. Statistics from KAU in 1984
· Published 9 research papers
· Co-recipient of ‘THAKUR RAM AUTAR SINGH RESEARCH AWARD’ in Poultry Breeding in India for 1989
· Involved in intensive research programme in the All India Coordinated Research Project on Poultry Improvement as Associate Investigator for 15 years from 1986 to 2001.
· Developed Computer Algorithms for genetic selection of poultry
· As a result of the teamwork in the project, a hybrid layer suitable with high egg production potential was developed which was released by Indian Council of Agricultural Research ILM- 90’ and was assigned a popular name “ATHULYA” by the KAU
Contact Address :
Professor & Head
Department of Agricultural Statistics
College of Horticulture
Kerala Agricultural University
KAU (P.O.),Trissur Dt. 680 656
Kerala , India.
Phone: 0487 2438391
Designed & Maintained By Bioinformatics Centre, Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara
All Rights Reserved. COH © 2008
Best viewed in Internet Explorer 6 or above, 1024 x 768 Screen, Flash enabled